By Vernon Bogdanor
Rejecting those arguments Vernon Bogdanor makes a strong case for the optimistic position that monarchy performs in smooth democratic politics. Ranging throughout legislations, politics, and historical past he argues that faraway from undermining democracy, the monarchy sustains and strengthens democratic associations; that constitutional monarchy is a sort of presidency that guarantees no longer conservatism yet legitimacy.
The first critical exam of the political function of the monarchy to seem in lots of years, this ebook will make attention-grabbing interpreting for all these drawn to the monarchy and the way forward for British politics.
Read or Download The Monarchy and the Constitution PDF
Best political leadership books
An unique blend of theoretical innovation and an in depth empirical research of the information, language and coverage of latest Labour. Politicians usually entice ethical ideas and arguments of their efforts to win aid for brand new coverage programmes. but the query of the way politicians use ethical language has previously been overlooked by way of students.
To appreciate public coverage judgements, it really is central to appreciate the capacities of the person actors who're making them, how they believe and consider approximately their function, and what drives and motivates them. despite the fact that, the present literature takes little account of this, who prefer in its place to border the choices because the results of a rational look for value-maximising choices or the results of systematic and well-ordered institutional and organisational techniques.
The presidential election of 2008 is exclusive in a historical past of memorable campaigns for the top place of work within the U. S. by no means ahead of has an African American captured the nomination of an enormous political occasion. by no means earlier than have the Republicans nominated a girl for vice chairman. by no means prior to has a girl come so with reference to shooting the nomination of an immense get together.
This ebook from Cambria Press is published along side the 2015 annual assembly of the yank Political technological know-how organization (#APSA2015) The book's major concentration is on presidential management and attracts thought from the scholarship of eminent political scientist Thomas E. Cronin. From comparing the management successes and screw ups of President George W.
- The Corruption Cure: How Citizens and Leaders Can Combat Graft
- Presidential Lessons in Leadership: What Executives (and Everybody Else) Can Learn from Six Great American Presidents
- How American Presidents Succeed and Why They Fail: From Richard Nixon to Barack Obama
- France and the Age of Revolution: Regimes Old and New from Louis XIV to Napoleon Bonaparte (International Library of Historical Studies)
- In the Name of Terrorism: Presidents on Political Violence in the Post-World War II Era (SUNY series in the Trajectory of Terror)
- The Diplomacy of Culture: The Role of UNESCO in Sustaining Cultural Diversity (Culture and Religion in International Relations)
Extra resources for The Monarchy and the Constitution
The Monarchy and the Constitution by Vernon Bogdanor