By Rodney P. Carlisle
CHOICE notable educational name for 2009
"This ground-breaking source is strongly instructed for all libraries and well-being and welfare institutional depots; crucial for college collections, particularly these catering to social stories programs."
—Library magazine, STARRED Review
Children and adults spend loads of time in actions we expect of as "play," together with video games, activities, and leisure pursuits. with no brooding about it very deeply, virtually every person might agree that such actions are enjoyable, enjoyable, and interesting. in spite of the fact that, play has many reasons that run a lot deeper than basic leisure. for kids, play has a variety of capabilities resembling festival, following principles, accepting defeat, making a choice on leaders, workout management, working towards grownup roles, and taking dangers with a purpose to acquire rewards. For adults, many video games and activities function innocuous releases of emotions of aggression, pageant, and intergroup hostility.
The Encyclopedia of Play in modern-day Society explores the concept that of play in historical past and sleek society within the usa and across the world. Its scope encompasses rest and leisure actions of youngsters and adults during the a while, from cube video games within the Roman Empire to games this present day. With greater than 450 entries, those volumes don't comprise insurance activities and activity groups yet, in its place, disguise the loads of video games performed to not make money yet as casual task. All features of play—from studying to festival, mastery of nature, socialization, and cooperation—are incorporated. just enough, this Encyclopedia explores play performed for the thrill of it!
- Available in either print and digital formats
- Provides entry to the attention-grabbing literature that has explored questions of psychology, studying concept, online game concept, and background in depth
- Considers the impacts of play on baby and grownup improvement, really on healthiness, creativity, and imagination
- Contains entries that describe either grownup and early life play and video games in dozens of cultures worldwide and all through history
- Explores the subtle analyses of social thinkers akin to Huizinga, Vygotsky, and Sutton-Smith, in addition to the wide range of video games, toys, activities, and entertainments discovered round the world
- Presents cultures as various because the historic center East, sleek Russia, and China and in countries as far off as India, Argentina, and France
- Adult Games
- Board and Card Games
- Children's Games
- History of Play
- Outdoor video games and novice Sports
- Play and Education
- Play round the World
- Psychology of Play
- Sociology of Play
- Toys and Business
- Video and on-line Games
For a subject matter we as a rule ponder light-hearted, play as a study subject has generated an in depth and complex literature, exploring a variety of penetrating questions. This two-volume set serves as a basic, nontechnical source for lecturers, researchers, and scholars alike. it really is an important addition to any educational library.
Read Online or Download Encyclopedia of Play in Today's Society: A Social History PDF
Similar sports reference books
Jack Coombs rose to deadball-era stardom because the ace of Connie Mack’s Athletics, winners of back-to-back global championships in 1910 and 1911. one of many few gamers of his day to have graduated from university, Coombs debuted for the Athletics in 1906, clean from Colby university. inside many years, he used to be the most effective and best-known pitchers in baseball, prime the majors in victories in consecutive seasons.
This two-volume encyclopedia is the Daytona 500 of inventory motor vehicle racing books—an crucial "Bible" that offers an all-encompassing heritage of the game in addition to an up to date exam of modern day inventory vehicle racing. • Biographical good points at the most crucial members in inventory motor vehicle racing, from invoice France Jr.
An intensive source on handloading at domestic, Shooter’s Bible consultant to Handloading offers distinct information regarding the heritage of handloading and key figures’ ideas, an easy rationalization of hand reloading, deciding upon the fundamental instruments wanted, and selecting your circumstances, dies, primers, and powders in addition to step by step directions for reloading firearm cartridges and the way to check your a lot on the variety.
Step by step consultant to components Placement for contemporary most well liked Shotguns! Shooters, gunsmiths and creditors alike will locate the revised model of this convenient consultant a necessary reference for disassembling and reassembling various shotguns. step by step pictures and transparent, basic textual content make it effortless to disassemble and reassemble quite a lot of glossy and classic types.
- Science in Elite Sport
- Sea Fishing Venues - North Wales
- Konzept zur Planung und Auswertung von Sportunterricht (German Edition)
- European Volleyball Championship Results: Since 1948
- The Runner's Workout Handbook
- Stärkung der Kraftausdauer und intermuskulären Koordination für die Bereiche Rücken, Rumpf und Schultern: Wahrnehmungsförderung der Muskelspannung (German Edition)
Additional info for Encyclopedia of Play in Today's Society: A Social History
Encyclopedia of Play in Today's Society: A Social History by Rodney P. Carlisle