By Jon D. Payne,Sebastian Heck
In 'A religion worthy Teaching', edited through Jon Payne and Sebastian Heck, an array of devoted pastor-scholars rejoice the Heidelberg Catechism on its 450th anniversary with a suite of essays on its dynamic background, wealthy theology, and fruit-bearing perform that would be an encouragement to pastors and laypersons alike.
Table of Contents:
Foreword: the Heidelberg Catechism: the key of its good fortune - Herman J. Selderhuis
Part 1: The background and heritage of the Heidelberg Catechism
1. The background and folks at the back of the Heidelberg Catechism - Lyle D. Bierma
2. The Heidelberg Catechism within the usa - D. G. Hart
Part 2: The Heidelberg Catechism and the technique of Grace
3. retaining Firmly to the Heidelberger: The Validity and Relevance of Catechism Preaching - Joel R. Beeke
4. Preaching the Catechism at the present time - Joel R. Beeke
5. “Washed from All My Sins”: The Doctrine of Baptism within the Heidelberg Catechism - Sebastian Heck
6. “As definitely As I See and Taste”: The Lord’s Supper and the Heidelberg Catechism – Jon D. Payne
Part three: Christian Doctrine and the Heidelberg Catechism
7. collected, secure, and Preserved: The Church within the Heidelberg Catechism - Michael S. Horton
8. Grace and Gratitude: Justification and Sanctification within the Heidelberg Catechism - Cornelis P. Venema
9. The Christology of the Heidelberg catechism - Mark Jones
10. “Prophet, health care professional Jesus”: the Son of God as “Our excessive Priest and instructor” within the Heidelberg Catechism - Victor E. d’Assonville
11. The Spirit-Filled Catechism: The Heidelberg Catechism and the Holy Spirit - Daniel R. Hyde
Part four: The Heidelberg Catechism As Catechetical software
12. The Heidelberg Catechism one of the Reformed Catechisms - W. Robert Godfrey
13. The Heidelberg Catechism: A Catechetical instrument - Willem Verboom
14. Scholasticism within the Heidelberg Catechism? - Willem van’t Spijker
“This is an excellent selection of articles, either functional and scholarly. there's a lot right here to aid us comprehend the historical past, the theology, and the continued relevance of the Heidelberg Catechism. As we hold forth in the course of the Heidelberg in our church i'll definitely seek advice this publication frequently. It caused me to reassess and back ‘Isn’t the Catechism remarkable!’ and, extra importantly, ‘Isn’t the gospel amazing!’” — Kevin DeYoung, senior pastor at college Reformed Church, Lansing, Michigan, and writer of the excellent news We virtually Forgot: Rediscovering the Gospel in a sixteenth Century Catechism
“As a precis and interpretation of God’s notice composed for and certified through the Reformed church buildings, the Heidelberg Catechism (1563) has a different position within the lifetime of the church buildings. we must always be glad about 'A religion worthy Teaching', an outstanding source that is helping us higher comprehend and use the catechism in our time.” — R. Scott Clark, professor of church heritage and historic theology, Westminster Seminary California
Read or Download A Faith Worth Teaching: The Heidelberg Catechism’s Enduring Heritage PDF
Best church history books
Although the emergent church was seen as a perimeter flow with little to provide tested congregations, it really is now visible as one of many primary using forces shaping the way forward for postmodern Christianity in North the USA. As more and more mainline groups ask yourself how the emergent church impacts their very own buildings and practices, this booklet brings jointly the views of a number of of the main in demand "Hyphenated Christians," i.
They Who supply from Evil: The reaction of the jap Church to Moneylending within the Early Christian period considers St. Basil the nice and St. Gregory of Nyssa’s fourth-century sermons opposed to usury. either brothers have been concerned about the industrial and theological implications of damaging and corrosive practices of lending at excessive interest rates and implications for either at the group and the person soul of lender and debtor.
In a single of the unsurpassed spiritual masterpieces produced through an American author, Jonathan Edwards distinguishes among actual and fake faith by way of defining a believer's right affections and explaining their value. He extra identifies the excellence among genuine-seeming and legit affections.
The Cappadocian Fathers had nice effect at the church of the fourth century, having introduced their ardour for Christ and theological services to lifestyles of their ministry. Their paintings used to be no longer with out effect, together with that in their speedy relations. inside of their writings we discover the lives of 7 ladies, the Cappadocian moms, who can have had extra impact at the theology of the church than formerly believed.
- Apostolic Succession
- Buchdruck und Buchkultur im Wittenberg der Reformationszeit (Schriften der Stiftung Luthergedenkstätten in Sachsen-Anhalt 21) (German Edition)
- Frühes Christentum und Gnosis: Eine rezeptionsgeschichtliche Studie (Wissenschaftliche Untersuchungen zum Neuen Testament) (German Edition)
- El profeta de Nazaret: Revelaciones inéditas sobre el Jesús histórico (Orígenes olvidados del cristianismo nº 2) (Spanish Edition)
- Brief Christian Histories: Getting a Sense of Our Long Story
- Dictionary of Early Christian Beliefs
Additional info for A Faith Worth Teaching: The Heidelberg Catechism’s Enduring Heritage
A Faith Worth Teaching: The Heidelberg Catechism’s Enduring Heritage by Jon D. Payne,Sebastian Heck